Calls To Action (CTA) come in all shapes, colors, and sizes, with the one unifying theme of compelling the user to ‘take the next step’– confirm a purchase, subscribe to a mailing list, like a social media post, etc. But did you know that those shapes, colors, and sizes all affect the performance of your CTA?
We’ve compiled a list of tips to help you craft the best CTA no matter where you are on the web.
1. Size Matters – A good CTA needs to prominent, and often times that means large. The general rule of thumb is that bigger is better, but there is a limit. We like to make sure our CTA’s never cover more than 35% of a page and never less than 5%.
2. Make it Friendly – Sharp corners are uninviting. Make sure to keep the buttons rounded and friendly so users feel more comfortable clicking.
3. Know your Colors – Bright colors are great for CTA’s but make sure you’ve researched your hue. Red, for instance, will convey urgency and danger. Blue on the other hand conveys more comfort and security. Neither color is necessarily better than the other for a CTA, but one could be more effective based on context.
4. Mind your Mobile – With so much internet traffic originating from mobile users these days, it’s imperative that your CTA is clickable and tappable on mobile. Remember, you have to make it as easy as possible for a user to click no matter what device they’re using.
5. Get Creative – Rectangles are great for CTA’s, but they aren’t the only option. Uniquely shaped buttons are often more eye-catching and can even help to tell the story of your brand. For instance, if you have a new landing page for your pizza delivery service, you may want to use a triangular button that mimics a slice for your coupon CTA.
6. Make it Fun – Studies show that we are more likely to click a button if it actually looks like a real 3-D button. Have fun with it– make your CTA look like a doorbell or video game controller, anything we’re used to pressing in our everyday lives. Bonus points if you add some animation.
Follow these steps and you’ll design a CTA that’s ready to be clicked by the masses!